St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
I have a hard enough time with my poor kitty being sick, I can’t imagine what it is like for parents when their children get sick with cancer and other childhood diseases. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital NEVER turns a family away from treatment for a lack of ability to pay. Read on to find out more about this organization.
From their website:
The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of our founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family’s ability to pay.
How do your donations help?
- Thanks to donors, St. Jude families never pay for treatment not covered by insurance, and no child is ever denied treatment because of the family’s inability to pay.
- Your donations also help St. Jude cover other costs a family typically incurs while their child is being treated at the hospital, including travel, housing and food.
- At St. Jude, donor dollars help fuel the groundbreaking research that leads to pioneering care and treatments for childhood cancer and other deadly diseases.
How is St. Jude making a difference for sick children?
- Every child saved at St. Jude means children saved around the world—a direct result of cutting-edge research and treatment that set the standard in treating childhood cancers. And our discoveries are shared freely with doctors and scientists all over the world.
- St. Jude developed protocols that have helped push overall survival rates for childhood cancers from less than 20 percent, when the hospital opened in 1962, to 80 percent today.
- St. Jude is the first and only pediatric cancer center to be designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute.
- St. Jude has embarked on an unprecedented effort to sequence the pediatric cancer genome and to identify the genetic changes that give rise to some of the world’s deadliest childhood cancers. Read more.
How are donations used?
- During the past five years, 81 cents of every dollar received has supported the research and treatment at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- It costs $1.7 million a day to operate St. Jude, and public donations provide more than 75 percent of our funding
St. Jude’s has many ways you can help, including monetary donations, but also an online Gift Shop where you can purchase items priced as low as just a couple of dollars. They have a variety of items including clothing, watches, jewelry, handbags, tote bags and gifts for children. Please visit their website and see if St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is a charity you would like to support. And keep them in mind for gift giving needs throughout the year.